CofC Logo

19. Rights of Students with Disabilities

Rights of Students with Special Needs

The College of Charleston complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and its 2008 Amendments. These acts identify that “ … no otherwise qualified handicapped individual … shall, solely by reason of his or her handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance (29 USC Sect. 706).” Regulations implementing Section 504 and ADA establish standards for employment practice, accessibility of facilities, and education programs with which institutions receiving federal funds must comply (34 CFR Part 104).

In accordance with these regulations, a qualified person with a disability who meets the academic and technical standards required to enroll in and participate in the College of Charleston program shall be provided an equal opportunity to obtain a degree in the most integrated setting appropriate to that person’s needs. The College of Charleston makes reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of students with disabling conditions.

The Director of the Center for Disability Services coordinates the provision of accommodations for students with disabilities in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its 2008 Amendments, and their implementing regulations. Questions concerning the College’s Policy should be directed to the Director of the Center for Disability Services, College of Charleston, 66 George Street, Charleston, South Carolina, 29424; 843.953.1431, Fax 843.953.7731, or email at The office is located at 160 Calhoun Street (The Lightsey Center), Suite 104. 

Reasonable and specific accommodations are developed with each student based on current documentation from an appropriate qualified professional.  All accommodations are individualized, flexible and confidential based on the nature of the disability and the academic environment.  Housing accommodations for a disability or medical condition are also coordinated through the Center for Disability Services.

Students who believe that a violation of their rights has occurred may discuss their complaint informally with an administrator in the Center for Disability Services. If the issue is not resolved informally, or the student does not wish to pursue the issue on an informal basis, students served by the Center for Disability Services may file a formal grievance. (See “Student Grievances”

Students who believe that the adjudication of their complaints was not fair may file a complaint directly with the Office of Civil Rights at the following address: Office for Civil Rights, DC Office, US Department of Education, Customer Service Team, 400 Maryland Ave., SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-1100, 800.421.3481, Fax: 202.245.6840, or an

OCR Electronic Complaint Form may be submitted.